Suffer from Road Rage? Five Ways to Get it Under Control
We’ve all been in situations on the road where we see other drivers do something stupid — like swerving because they’re texting, or weaving in and out of lanes, etc. While most find it merely irritating and choose to give these offenders wide berth, others develop road rage, the inability to effectively manage anger. Road rage can cause harm that can lead to serious legal problems.
At the Law Office of James R. Elliott, your driving safety is our top priority and we offer the following techniques for keeping a level head while on the road:
1. Avoid making others angry: Drive as reasonably and predictably as possible (including the correct use of indicators, driving at the speed limit, obeying all road rules and considering other drivers) and not reacting to the driving behavior of others.
2. Distance yourself from dangerous situations: When you recognize is someone driving poorly or an angry/aggressive driver, avoid making eye contact or honking your horn at them. It will only serve to escalate the situation.
3. Control of your personal reactions only: It is very important to remember that you have no control over the reactions or behavior of other drivers on the road. You also have no control over traffic conditions. Focus your energy on controlling your own reactions while driving, rather than factors outside of yourself.
4. Leave ample time to drive to your destination: By allowing yourself more time than you need to drive from A to B, you have the opportunity to reduce stress related to not having enough time to travel to where you need to be.
5. Remind yourself it is not worth it: Untreated anger resulting in road rage can have detrimental consequences. It is vitally important to remember that no matter what challenge you find yourself up against on the road, road rage is never worth it.
When left unchecked and/or untreated, road rage can have serious and devastating consequences not only for drivers involved, but others as well. At the Law Office of James R. Elliott, driving offences are our specialty. If you have been charged with a traffic or criminal offense and would like a free consultation, give us a call today.